Saturday, February 4, 2012

Woman in Black!

____________________________________________________________________
I've read the book, I've read the reviews, and OMIGOSH I get to see it on the 18th!!! I'm totally stoked for the day when I get to walk into that theater and watch Hammer's latest ghost story/thriller! 
Daniel Radcliffe stars as Arthur Kipps, a young attorney who has to settle the affairs of the deceased elderly Mrs. Alice Drablow, which means that he has to spend a couple of nights in her old, rickety house called Eel Marsh house..
Yay. 
What made this book (and hopefully the movie) so terrifying is the atmosphere of the house. To get to the house, one must cross a long causeway which is surrounded by the marshes. Oh, and you can only cross it at certain points of a day, when the waters aren't covering the road. And then, the house is situated on a hill, overlooking the moors. You certainly feel a sense of isolation when you're alone there. And that's what Kipps has to go through.
What he encounters there changes his life.
The movie was said to be a bit slow at times, then relied on jump scares at the beginning, but then with many reviews, I've read that when it starts going, it gets going. The atmosphere is just as creepy as the book is, so they say, and the ending is said to completely surprise. I can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. I say these reviews are dead on - except for the dead in some areas! What are these people thinking?! The whole movie was SUSPENSEFUL. IF, and I mean IF, the parts were slow, it was only to tie up your stomach in knots before the WIB came out to scare the heck out of you. The movie is one of the best in its genre in years!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! It certainly was a good ghost story horror! I think what they mean by being slow was the beginning when they were building up the suspension with him arriving at the small town. But yeah, afterwards, it was quite a ride.

      Delete