Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Wuthering Heights -- A Concept

One of my favorite classics (and I have many) is the novel Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. It's always fun to see how different people adapt this story to the silver screen.

I saw some of the film with Laurence Olivier




And the one with Timothy Dalton

But they were both lacking one very important thing: The Last half of the story!!! (which is my favorite part) Sure, they're both good, but I just hate it when the films leave out parts of the story!


Then there is, of course, the one with Ralph Fiennes

This one, I felt, was better. It included every part of the book (more or less) and Fiennes portrayed Heathcliff as he is supposed to be: brutal, cruel, sadistic, tortured, yet appealing. The actress who played Cathy wasn't as good as it could have been, but that was okay, because it had the last half of the book with Catherine and Hareton! Not to mention the good music this film had.


But then a newer version came out just this past year:

And I did not like it at all. Oh sure, the acting was very good, but it just wasn't Emily Bronte's story! It was like someone took it and made their own story out of the real thing! The whole thing about Heathcliff and Cathy's love is that it's beyond fleshly love, it's deeper. It's in the soul. It's as constant as nature, and they just brought it low. I just was so disappointed. It could have been better. And they rushed my favorite parts: the relationship of Catherine and Hareton. Major disappointment.

My favorite version by far is the Masterpiece Theater version made in 1998.
Such passionate acting! And who could hate Matthew McFayden's Hareton? Granted, I missed the music this film could have had, but everything else was great! The actor who portrayed Heathcliff brought out the sadistic tortured soul the character has after Cathy dies. And to my surprise and delight Crispin Bonham-Carter (BBC's Pride and Prejudice's Mr. Bingley!!!) was Edgar Linton! He was great!
This is by far my favorite one, with the Ralph Fiennes' one not far behind. The others were just not worthy to adapt to the book.
Now watch this vid I put up! I adapted my own ideas for each character in a new film for Wuthering Heights!
My Cast:
Christian Bale: Heathcliff
Natalie Portman: Cathy
Toby Stephens: Hareton
Kate Winslet: Nelly Dean
Ewan McGregor: Edgar Linton
Rosamund Pike: Isabella Linton
Sophia Myles: Catherine Linton
Karl Urban: Hareton Earnshaw

2 comments:

  1. I saw the Laurence Olivier one. I actually don't know the story well enough to judge it though... but I did like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you don't like bittersweet, melancholy and sad stories, I wouldn't recommend this. It's pretty crazy and I ended up disliking a lot of the characters.

    Yet somehow I still love the book. *shrugs*

    ReplyDelete